Summer products for guinea pigs
- Voor 17 uur besteld dezelfde dag verzonden
- 10 jaar de GROOTSTE voor uw knaagdier
- Zaterdag verzending
Order summer products for your guinea pigs easily and quickly at DRD Rodent Shop!
There are several summer products for guinea pigs that can help your animals during the hot days. In addition to shade and a cool place, certain products can provide cooling. Never wet your animals.
Did you know?
Do Guinea Pigs Lose Heat Through Their Ears? In addition, they cool down by lying on a cool surface and increasing their breathing.
The optimum temperature for guinea pigs is between 18-22 . At temperatures above 25 ℃ it actually starts to get too hot for the guinea pigs. If the temperatures rise, it is important that the guinea pigs are supported. In addition to an ICEPOD or cooling stone, a thermo cover for the drinking bottle is recommended, this ensures that the water stays cool for longer. The drinking water should also be refreshed regularly so that the animals always have fresh and cool drinks. Be careful not to give ice cold water, that can cause diarrhea.
In addition to cooling, the summer collection consists of fresh plants that the guinea pigs can nibble on. The plants give the animals moisture and tasty nibbling fun!
Guinea pig tips for the hot days
The tips below can help keep the animals cool during hot days.
- Always place the enclosure in the shade.
- Place the drinking water in a cool place. Protect the drinking bottle with a thermo cover. This helps to keep the water cool and also protects against algae growth.
- A parasol can provide extra shade and protect against the rotating sun.
- Place screens on the windows to prevent flies from entering. Also use anti myiasis against flies.
Myiasis (maggot disease)
Especially in the summer it is important to be careful with guinea pigs that live outside. If feces stick to the fur, where flies are attracted, problems can arise. The flies will lay eggs in the guinea pig's fur and the maggots that hatch can cause major health problems. Therefore, always make sure that the enclosure and the guinea pig are fresh and clean. There are also special protective devices that keep the flies at bay.