The guinea pig
Although they are on the menu in some countries, they are dear pets in the Netherlands that you will keep within 2 seconds!
The way of communicating the Cavia is particularly recognizable. The beeps as soon as the refrigerator opens and the cheerful look when he sees you with something tasty. Magnificent!
Guinea pigs are very friendly animals that live in groups. In our home a Cavia can never be held alone. Always at least two guinea pigs.
- Systematics: Cavia tschudii, Family Cavidae, Order Rodenita
- Head-body length: 30 cm (20 to 40 cm)
- Body weight: 450 to 1,000 g (up to 1,800 g), males are larger than females
- Life expectancy : 6 to 8 years
Details of the anatomy of the guinea pig
Weak muscular stop stomach: The intake of several very small portions a day pushes the food slurry to the back part of the intestines. Lifelong growth of the incisors and choosing: The tooth wear occurs during eating because the teeth rub against each other. The duration of feed intake becomes longer when eating raw fibers, which are finely ground. Relatively large cecum: Conversion of fine, crude cell matter to the positive intestinal flora in protein-rich and vitamin B-containing gut-spoons. These are eaten directly from the anus and undergo a second passage through the intestines.
Unlimited feeding with CaviaDroom is possible because it meets the energy requirements of young animals during their growth process resp. to the needs of adult animals.
TriMellos® have a 3-fiber mix:
- I. Crude fibers promote tooth wear.
- I I. Fine particles (<0.3 mm) end up in the gut and are metabolised by the positive intestinal flora.
- I II. Particles> 0.3 mm stimulate bowel movement. Sudden changes in the feed must be avoided.
Distribution of the guinea pig in the wild
- originally from South America
- • tschudi guinea pigs live at high altitudes in the Andes (1,600 - 4,200 m) in Peru, Bolivia and Argentina.
Natural habitat of the Cavia
- open landscapes with low vegetation of grasses and herbs in the sober surroundings of Paramos and Puna
- wild guinea pigs move in dense vegetation via networks of cavities and pits
Guinea pigDream is precisely tailored to the dietary pattern of guinea pigs that are kept as pets and contains all the necessary nutrients, vitamins, minerals and micronutrients.
Behavior of the guinea pig
- pets are active during the day and during dusk, wild guinea pigs are mainly active during dusk and at night
- • genial, in social groups with harems and territorial behavior
Guinea pigs make themselves known with sounds and have a large repertoire of sounds.
Reproduction of the guinea pig
- Sexually mature : females after 4-6 weeks of males after 3 - 10 weeks
- Breeding: females after 3-5 months of males after 2.5-5 months
- Roll number: 2-3 per year
- Worm size: 1-5 small ones per litter
- Wearing time: 63-70 days
- Birth weight: 50 g - 100 g, nest fodder
- Weaning age: from week 6
Up to and including 5 months we recommend to carry CaviaDroom YOUNG for an optimal growth process. Then you can feed the animal CaviaDream BASIC. An early castration of males after 6 weeks makes it possible to keep a pair from the beginning.
Details of the breeding of the guinea pig
Females are again fertile (postpartum oestrus) 6 to 15 hours after the delivery. Gender differences: the female sexual opening has the shape of a "Y", the male sexual opening and the anus are further apart.
Nutrition of the Cavia
foli-herbivore: The diet consists of a multitude of green plants supplemented with carrots, vegetables and fruit. Fruits may only be offered in limited quantities due to the high sugar content. Give plenty of good quality hay as well as fresh drinking water every day. Give branches to gnaw. Fresh food may be given from week 6 onwards. The amount of fresh food and the amount of grass that the animals are allowed to eat outdoors must be increased slowly, so that the intestinal flora can adapt and problems with digestion can be prevented.
Balanced long-life recipe: The nutritional needs vary according to the different phases of life: Guinea pigDroom is precisely tailored to it from YOUNG to SENIOR. Hay from protected meadows and FreshGras Hay are characterized by a multitude of green plants and herbs (biodiversity). The long, crunchy stems ensure optimal tooth wear.
Goedee Composition of guinea pig feed
- Crude protein (Rp): 12 - 14%
- Crude fat (RVe): 2 - 3%
- Crude fiber (RVz): 18-22%
- Crude fiber-starch ratio: at least 3: 1
An optimal crude fiber-starch ratio meets the energy requirements of adult animals resp. the growth phase of young animals. This protects the animal against obesity.
- Calcium (Ca): Adult animals: 0.6 - 0.8%, 0.6% Ca to avoid bladder dust / stones. Young animals: 0.9 - 1.0% for bone formation during the growth phase
- Phosphorus (F): 0.4 - 0.6% (Ca-F ratio: 1.5 - 2: 1)
Monocomponent feed (TriMello®) prevents the selection of energy-rich components and avoids a shortage of nutrients. The sensitive cecum flora can gradually adapt thanks to a step-by-step change in the feed. The transition from starchy, low-fiber muesli or extrudate to the bunny feed is easier when giving Nature Shuttle. TriMellos® with grains and native, healthy components are the right intermediate step for the switch to starch-poor, fiber-rich bunny food.
Guinea pigs can not make vitamin C and need a daily supply of vitamin C (10 - 20 mg per kg body weight). Guinea pigDream contains at least 600 mg of stabilized vitamin C and thus covers a higher need for vitamin C in stress and disease.
Housing of the guinea pig
Do not just keep it; we recommend keeping at least a few: 1 neutered male and 1 to 3 females In a group of males, uncastrated animals can bite each other after reaching sexual maturity. Do not keep with rabbits or other rodents.
Rabbits and guinea pigs can not communicate with each other. While rabbits express themselves with body language (against each other, mutual body care) and smells, guinea pigs communicate via sounds and smells.
Position of the Cavia cage
- no direct sunlight
- relative humidity below 70%
- optimal ambient temperature 18 to 22 ° C
Draft in combination with high humidity increases the risk of respiratory infections. To avoid association with predators, the cage / pen must be on an elevation and the opening must be on the side.
Size of the Cavia cage
- at least 120 x 60 x 50 cm (W x D x H) for 2 guinea pigs
- for each additional animal the area must be 20% larger
- also offers the possibility to run out on a daily basis (under supervision!)
The development of natural behavior, such as extensive exploration and play, is mainly stimulated by letting the animal roam freely - also in the home.
Ground cover for the Cavia
- well absorbent
- scented, very ammonia binding
- replace regularly
Litter from the bunny Bedding series eg Absorber (on the bottom of the cage) in combination with Comfort or Linum shows all the good qualities of high-quality litter. It is optimal for guinea pigs to walk on.
Establishment of the Cavia stay
- 1 house per animal with two openings
- increased lying surface
- gnawing eg. Back to the ROOTS Gnawing root pleasure
- feed in firm dishes of clay or ceramics (clean the dishes daily)
- drinking water in bottles or dishes (change the water daily)
- hay in coverable rack
If water is offered in a dish, it promotes water absorption. This is important for the treatment of urine stones, because excess calcium is mainly secreted via the urinary tract. Tasty Water normalizes the water absorption of animals that do not like drinking water.
Outdoor area for the Cavia
- throughout the year
- provide protection against direct sunlight (at least half of the loft must be in the shade), rain, wind and predators
- Take measurements against digging under the fence of the loft
- frost-free house / shelter
Especially in guinea pigs that are kept outside in a hutch, their backs must be checked daily, especially in the summer months, to detect any flies (myiasis) in time.
Dealing with the Cavia
- During the first days, guinea pigs need a lot of rest during habituation.
- Guinea pigs are suitable for children from 8 years of age under the supervision of parents
- Raise guinea pigs with their hands around their chest and pelvis.
- bunnyINTERACTIVE stimulates guinea pigs both mentally and physically, intensifies the bond between owner and animal and improves confidence.
The Enjoy Nature range offers a multitude of natural products that are suitable for building a bond of trust during the habituation period and as an incentive for play and reconnaissance behavior. Check the animal's health daily, regularly the incisors, the anogenital area, the fur and the nails. A check of the weight must be done once a week.
Indications of illness in the guinea pig
Weight loss, less intake of food and water, altered key and urinating behavior as well as a rough coat include indications of a disease.
To determine the cause and the treatment, a veterinarian must be consulted as soon as possible. If the dental abrasion in the guinea pig does not go well, treatments under anesthesia must be performed by a veterinarian.