The guinea pig
Although they are on the menu in some countries, they are precious pets with us in the Netherlands that you will love within 2 seconds!
The way the Guinea pig communicates is very recognizable. The beeps as soon as the refrigerator opens and the cheerful look when he sees you with some goodies. Magnificent!
Guinea pigs are particularly friendly animals that live in groups. A guinea pig can therefore never be kept alone at our home. Always at least two Guinea pigs.
- System: Cavia tschudii, Family Cavidae, Order Rodenita
- Head-rom length: 30 cm (20 to 40 cm)
- Body weight: 450 to 1,000 g (max. Up to 1,800 g), males are larger than females
- Life expectancy : 6 to 8 years
Details of the guinea pig's anatomy
Weak muscular stop stomach: The intake of several quite a few small portions per day pushes the food slurry to the rear part of the intestines. Lifelong growth of incisors and molars: The tooth wear occurs during eating because the teeth rub against each other. The duration of feed intake becomes longer when eating raw fibers, which are finely ground. Relatively large appendix: Conversion of fine, crude cellular substances by the positive intestinal flora into protein-rich and vitamin B-containing blind intestinal keys. These are eaten directly from the anus and undergo a second passage through the intestines.
Unlimited feeding is possible with CaviaDroom because it meets the energy needs of young animals during their growth process resp. to the needs of adult animals.
TriMellos® have a 3-fiber mix:
- I. Raw fibers promote tooth wear.
- I I. Fine particles (<0.3 mm) end up in the appendix and are metabolized by the positive intestinal flora.
- II. Particles> 0.3 mm stimulate the intestinal movement. Sudden changes to the feed must be avoided.
Distribution of the guinea pig in the wild
- originally from South America
- • tschudi guinea pigs live at high altitudes in the Andes Mountains (1,600 - 4,200 m) in Peru, Bolivia and Argentina.
Natural habitat of the guinea pig
- open landscapes with low vegetation of grasses and herbs in the austere surroundings of Paramos and Puna
- wild guinea pigs move in overgrown vegetation through networks of cavities and pits
Guinea Pig Dream is precisely tailored to the diet of guinea pigs that are kept as pets and contains all necessary nutrients, vitamins, minerals and micronutrients.
Behavior of the Guinea Pig
- pets are active during the day and during twilight, wild guinea pigs are mainly active during twilight and at night
- • friendly, in social groups with harems and territorial behavior
Guinea pigs make themselves known with sounds and have a large repertoire of sounds.
Reproduction of the guinea pig
- Sexual maturity: females after 4-6 weeks males after 3 - 10 weeks
- Breeding maturity: females after 3-5 months males after 2.5-5 months
- Toss number: 2-3 per year
- Roll size: 1-5 small ones per throw
- Wearing time: 63-70 days
- Birth weight: 50 g - 100 g, nestlings
- Teat age: from week 6
For up to 5 months we recommend to use CaviaDroom YOUNG for an optimal growth process. You can then feed the CaviaDroom BASIC animal. An early castration of males after 6 weeks makes it possible to keep a couple from the beginning.
Details of the reproduction of the guinea pig
Females are fertile again 6 to 15 hours after delivery (postpartum oestrus). Gender differences: the female sexual aperture has the shape of a "Y", with the male the round sexual aperture and the anus are further apart.
Feeding the guinea pig
foli-herbivore: The diet consists of a multitude of green plants supplemented with carrots, vegetables and fruit. Due to the high sugar content, fruits may only be offered in limited quantities. Give sufficient good quality hay every day as well as fresh drinking water. Give branches to gnaw. Fresh food may be given from week 6. The amount of fresh food and also the amount of grass that the animals are allowed to eat outdoors must be increased slowly so that the intestinal flora can adapt and digestive problems can be prevented.
Balanced long-life recipe: The nutritional needs vary according to the different stages of life: Guinea Pig Dream is precisely tailored to this from YOUNG to SENIOR. Hay from protected meadows and FreshGras Hay are characterized by a multitude of green plants and herbs (biodiversity). The long, crunchy stems ensure optimum tooth wear.
Good Composition of guinea pig food
- Crude protein (Rp): 12 - 14%
- Crude fat (RVe): 2 - 3%
- Raw fibers (RVz): 18-22%
- Raw fiber-starch ratio: at least 3: 1
An optimum raw fiber-starch ratio meets the energy requirements of adult animals and / or adults. the growth phase of young animals. This protects the animal against overweight.
- Calcium (Ca): Adult animals: 0.6 - 0.8%, 0.6% Ca to avoid bladder grit / stones. Young animals: 0.9 - 1.0% for bone formation during the growth phase
- Phosphorus (F): 0.4 - 0.6% (Ca-F ratio: 1.5 - 2: 1)
Monocomponent feed (TriMello®) prevents the selection of energy-rich components and avoids nutrient deficiencies. The sensitive appendix flora can gradually adjust thanks to a step-by-step change of the feed. The transition from starchy, low-fiber muesli or extrudate to the bunny food is easier when giving Nature Shuttle. TriMellos® with grains and native, healthy components are the right intermediate step in the transition to low-starch, fiber-rich bunny food.
Guinea pigs cannot produce vitamin C themselves and need a daily supply of vitamin C (10 - 20 mg per kg body weight). Guinea Pig Dream contains at least 600 mg of stabilized vitamin C and thus covers a higher need for vitamin C in stress states and illness.
Housing of the Guinea Pig
Don't just keep it; we recommend keeping at least a few: 1 neutered male and 1 to 3 females In a group of males, uncastrated animals can bite after reaching sexual maturity. Do not keep together with rabbits or other rodents.
Rabbits and guinea pigs cannot communicate with each other. While rabbits make themselves understood with body language (lying against each other, mutual body care) and smells, guinea pigs communicate through sounds and smells.
Position of the guinea pig cage
- draft free
- no direct sunlight
- relative humidity below 70%
- optimum ambient temperature 18 to 22 ° C
Draft in combination with high humidity increases the risk of respiratory infections. To avoid association with predators, the cage / cage must be on an elevation and the opening must be on the side.
Size of the guinea pig cage
- at least 120 x 60 x 50 cm (W x D x H) for 2 guinea pigs
- the area must be 20% larger for each additional animal
- also offer the possibility of spouts on a daily basis (under supervision!)
The development of natural behavior, such as extensive exploration and play, is mainly stimulated by allowing the animal to roam freely - also in the home.
Ground cover for the guinea pig
- good absorbent
- odor-binding, very ammonia-binding
- low in dust
- replaced regularly
Bedding from the bunny Bedding series eg Absorber (on the bottom of the cage) in combination with Comfort or Linum exhibits all the good properties of quality bedding. It is optimal for guinea pigs to walk on.
Layout of the Guinea pig stay
- 1 house with two openings per animal
- raised lying surface
- rods, for example. Back to the ROOTS Plum root pleasure
- feed in sturdy clay or ceramic dishes (clean the dishes daily)
- drinking water in bottles or dishes (change the water daily)
- hay in coverable rack
If water is offered in a dish, this promotes water absorption. This is important for the treatment of urinary stones, because excess calcium is mainly excreted via the urinary tract. Tasty Water normalizes the water intake of animals that do not like to drink water.
Country retreat for the guinea pig
- possible all year round
- provide protection against direct sunlight (at least half of the loft must be in the shade), rain, wind and predators
- take measures against digging under the fence of the loft
- frost-free house / shelter
Especially with guinea pigs that are kept outside in a cage, their backside must be checked daily, especially in the summer months, in order to notice any fly maggots (myiasis) in time.
Dealing with the guinea pig
- Guinea pigs need a lot of rest during the first days of habituation.
- Guinea pigs are suitable for children from 8 years old under the supervision of parents
- Lift guinea pigs with hands around their chest and pelvis.
- bunnyINTERACTIVE stimulates guinea pigs both mentally and physically, intensifies the bond between owner and animal and improves confidence.
The Enjoy Nature range offers a multitude of natural products that are suitable for building up a relationship of trust during the habituation period and as a stimulus for play and reconnaissance behavior. Check the health of the animal daily, regularly the incisors, the anogenital area, the fur and the nails. A check of the weight must be done once a week.
Indications of guinea pig disease
Loss of weight, less intake of feed and water, changed clump and urinary behavior as well as a rough coat are indications of an illness.
To determine the cause and the treatment, a veterinarian must be consulted as soon as possible. If the guinea pig's dental wear does not go well, treatments must be performed under general anesthesia by a veterinarian.