The Hamster (Mesocricetus auratus, Family Cricetidae, Order Rodentia) is a small friendly rodent that is very popular in the Netherlands. Hamsters are often kept as pets. There are different types of hamsters. We distinguish the following types of hamsters that are also kept as pets:
- Syrian Hamsters (Goudhamster)
- Russian Dwarf Hamster
- Campbelli Dwarf Hamster
- Chinese dwarf hamster
- Roborovski Dwarf Hamster
Head-length : up to 18 cm
Body weight : up to 180 g (females are slightly heavier than males)
Life expectancy : 2 to 3 years
ANATOMY OF THE HAMSTER
- Tooth formula: 1013/1013 (Ratio of incisors at the top - bottom = 1: 2-3)
- Incisors continue to grow.
- The molars do not continue to grow: The large cheek pockets that extend to the shoulder blades are a flexible bulge of the cheek mucosa.
- Stomach consists of two rooms: the front and gland stomach.
- Small appendix with limited capacity to process raw fibers. High-protein appendixes are only eaten in the event of food shortage.
Continuous wear and tear is ensured by peeling seeds and nibbling structured fibers (eg Hay from nature-protected meadows with mealworms, straw, branches). Young animals and food can be transported to their den in the cheek pouches. The amount of crude fiber in their portions may not exceed 10%. Sudden changes to the feed must be avoided.
SPREAD OF THE HAMSTER
- originally from Syria and southern Turkey
NATURAL ENVIRONMENT OF THE HAMSTER
- Previously in dry steppe areas, which today have largely been converted into watered farmland.
- Preferably on sandy clay soils with self-built caves.
BEHAVIOR OF BEHAVIOR
- in fields active during the day
- under the care of people, active at night
- solitary with territorial behavior
- social contacts only during mating time and when raising young animals
- storage rooms are laid out
- Sexual maturity : females after 4-6 weeks males after 6-7 weeks
- Breeding maturity : female s after 8 - 10 weeks males after 10-12 weeks
- Toss number : 3-4 per year
- Roll size : 7 (max. 12) small ones per throw
- Wearing time : 15-18 days
- Birth weight : 2-3 g, nesters
- Weaning time : from week 4
DETAILS OF THE REPRODUCTION
- In the short period before and during the fertile period, females are tolerant of males.
- If the female has not had a successful mating during the fertile period of approximately 12 hours, she will return to a fertile period after 4 days.
Gender differences : with the male, the distance between the genital opening and the anus is greater than with the female.
NUTRITION OF THE HAMSTER
Granivore, partly insectivore / carnivore: seeds, grains, vegetables, herbs, grasses and animal proteins. Give good quality hay every day, eg Hay from nature-protected meadows with mealworms as well as fresh drinking water. Fresh food such as vegetables and herbs may be offered in limited quantities after slow habituation.
Balanced long-life recipe: HamsterDream BASIC / EXPERT - supplemented with Juniors Extra Granivore during the growing phase - cover the nutritional needs of hamsters.
Feeding a balanced, complete animal feed to an unlimited extent is important because of the high metabolism. HamsterDream BASIC / EXPERT contain mealworms as a source of animal proteins.
THE RIGHT COMPOSITION OF HAMSTER FOOD
- Crude protein (Rp): 14-18%
- Crude fat (RVe): 5 to max. 7%
- Raw fibers (RVz): max. 10%
- Calcium (Ca): 0.5-0.8% - Adult animals: 0.6% Ca to avoid bladder dust / stones
- Phosphorus (F): 0.3-0.4% (Ca-F ratio: 1-1.5: 1)
Multicomponent feed with a multitude of components corresponds to the natural feed intake behavior of hamsters and is tailored to the animal.
HOUSING OF THE HAMSTER
- keep it alone
- males and females only tolerate each other during the fertile period
- not possible to keep in a group
PLACE OF THE HAMSTER CAGE
- draft free
- no direct sunlight
- quiet location without disturbances during the day
- relative humidity <70%
- ambient temperature 20 to 24 ° C
If the ambient temperature is below approximately 15 ° C for a long time, the animals may fall into hibernation. To avoid association with predators, the cage / aviary must be on an elevation and the opening must be on the side.
SIZE OF THE HAMSTER CAGE
- at least 100 x 50 x 50 cm
A large, structured cage makes intensive movement possible during the active phase.
BOTTOM COVER FOR HAMSTERS
- good absorbent
- odor-binding, very ammonia-binding
- low in dust
- replaced regularly
FURNITURE OF THE HAMSTER STAY
- 1 sleeping house of 15 x 15 x 10 cm and a storage house
- hay or cellulose as nesting material
- clay, cork, wood or cardboard tubes
- twigs of deciduous and fruit trees
- rods, for example. Back to the ROOTS Plum root pleasure
- bath sand for fur care
- a one-sided closed running wheel with a closed running surface and a diameter of at least 30 cm
- feed in sturdy clay or ceramic dishes
(clean the dishes daily)
- drinking water in bottles or dishes (change the water daily)
- food bowl, water bowl and dish with sand for bathing should be in a raised place (eg on a house or a bridge) to ensure that they are not knocked over when digging
Indigestible hamster wadding can lead to clogging of the cheek pockets and cutting of limbs. A sand bath is important for coat care. The diameter of the running wheel must be at least 30 cm to prevent damage to the spine.
HANDLING A HAMSTER
- During the first days, hamsters need a lot of rest when getting used to it.
- Hamster are active at night and do not like to be caressed. If they are awakened during the day, they react aggressively and bite. That is why children can only look at them.
- Lift the animals with their thumb and forefinger around their chest under their front legs or with both hands make a circle around the animal and lift it up.
- bunnyINTERACTIVE stimulates gold hamsters mentally and physically, intensifies the bond between owner and animal and improves confidence.
INDICATIONS OF DISEASE AT A HAMSTER
Loss of weight, less feed and water intake, altered key and urinary behavior as well as a rough coat are indications of an illness. To determine the cause and the treatment, a veterinarian must be consulted as soon as possible.
Young golden hamsters can transfer LCM pathogens to humans. Careful with pregnant women!
Save Save Save Save