Low-sugar food for guinea pigs
- Gratis verzending vanaf €35*
- Voor 17 uur besteld zelfde dag verstuurd!
- Achteraf Betalen
DIABETES AT CAVIAS
Guinea pigs can treat diabetes relatively well compared to other animals. It happens even occasionally that the disease spontaneously no longer gives symptoms. In terms of diet we can basically advise the same as for the other rodent species.
- The Cavia nutrition should mainly consist of "slow" carbohydrates that provide a gradual release of energy.
- The diet must be sugar-free
- The Cavia can get the best vegetables (not sweet vegetables)
- The fibers are at number 1. The Cavia must get a lot of fiber, there must always be hay present.
- Energy-containing products such as grains can best be avoided (except oats), these can best be replaced by, for example, herbs, fiber-rich grass pellets and dried vegetables.
- In some cases, even rabbit food is recommended as a basis. This is possible because the animals have a similar fiber need, but guinea pigs must also receive vitamin C, because they do not produce it themselves.
- Finally, drinking is very important in animals with diabetes. There must therefore always be sufficient drinking water.
Vegetable products that specifically lower the blood sugar level are:
- Oats (give the guinea pig many oat products such as oat bran, flakes and / or whole grains)
- Blueberry leaves
Very specific nutritional advice for guinea pigs. Discuss this with your vet.
- Daily amount of carbohydrates for lean guinea pigs or guinea pigs with a normal weight is: 20 grams, with guinea pigs that are too thick, the amount should not exceed 20 grams
- Daily max. 10 - 15 grams (grain-free) pellets. Animals with a very high blood sugar level should better not be fed pellets at all.
- Fruit and vegetables or other products containing starch can best be avoided.
- Up to 20 grams of dried or 50-100 grams of fresh herbs per week.
- Lucerne only in small quantities
- Daily 15 - 25 mg of vitamin C. (no longer due to bladder stones).
- Calcium-phosphorus ratio of total food between 1.5: 1 and 2: 1
Inulin is a sweetener from Jerusalem artichokes or chicory that does not increase the sugar level and can even lower it by up to 40%.